Published in Dawn, May 14th, 2015
A robust national statistical system is pivotal for development, equitable growth and planning as it facilitates evidence-based policies and, judicious and timely decision-making to achieve goals set by the country.
The system comprises official bodies that gather information and statistics through surveys and censuses on diverse aspects such as the economy and labour, demography and sociology, trade and business, politics and culture, housing, health and education, etc.
These Urdu translations were published in the literary magazing Aaj between 1990 and 2004, and were later collected and published in one volume titled Muhr-e-Sukoot by Aaj Ki Kitabain in 2007.
The link below contains the Urdu translations of the following:
1. The Continuing Silence of a Poet by A. B. Yehoshua (short story)
2. The Balloon by Donald Barthelme (short story)
3. The Wanderer by Quim Monzó (short story)
4. The Distance of the Moon by Italo Calvino (short story)
5. City of Clowns by Daniel Alarcón (short story)
6. The Stranger by Yusuf Idris (short story)
7. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (first three chapters of the novel)